Monday, September 26, 2011

Waking Up

By Claire Hegarty

Not a very nice day, is it? says I
It depends on what you focus on says he
Up until this point I had been feeling blah
and unwittingly focusing on that fact
his comment woke me up

Can you give me just five minutes to myself? says I
But I need you Mammy, says He
In my selfishness I had forgotten for a while
how lucky I am to be needed
his comment woke me up

I'm not as young as I used to be, says She
I had been impatient for her to hurry up
now I think, if I'm lucky to live that long
I will get old and slow too
her comment woke me up

Each day I seem to slip back into a slumber
but I am now so aware of that
that thankfully a comment or an action
In an instant, triggers
my waking up

3 comments:

  1. This is interesting, we take a lot for granted, and we miss alot of the day and time that matters just because of our busyness to get through the day and the things that need to get done.

    I've been reminding myself to be more aware, to be more present and to take note of the 'living' part of life that happens.

    I like the words in this poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment. Glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete